Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Poricha Rasam (Fried Rasam)


This is my all-time favorite.. This is one rasam which reminds me of my childhood and how my grandmother would prepare for us...

Now whenever I go to my mother's place.. this rasam will top my list of food prepared by my mother & grandmother

 
 


Ingredients:

Toor Dal - 1/4 cup Boiled & mashed
Tamarind Water - 1/4 cup
Tomato - 1 medium sized (chopped)
Curry leaves - 10 to 12
Asafoetida - a generous pinch
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Sambar powder - 2 tsp (homemade or store bought)
Green Chilli - 1 cut into 4 pieces
Salt to taste

To Temper:

Oil - 2 tblsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Jeera - 1 tsp
Dhania Seeds - 1 tsp
Dry Red Chilli - 1 cut into 4 pieces
Appalam (south indian urad papad) - 2 nos. cut into small pieces

Method:
  1. For Rasam, Take a deep dish and add tamarind water, tomato, curry leaves,  asafoetida, sambar powder, turmeric powder, green chilli, salt & bring it to boil till raw smell goes
  2. Add a cup of water to boiled & mashed toor dal to make it watery
  3. Boil it for 2 to 3 mins in low flame
  4. Heat oil in small kadai, add mustard seeds, Jeera, dhania seeds, dry chillies & appalam till appalam fries.
  5. Add this temper to prepared rasam

Tips:
  • Serve hot with Steamed Rice
  • No accompliments required
  • Not very spicy & can be given to kids easily  

No comments:

Post a Comment